Thursday, August 16, 2012

Best Pies on the Islands / Leoda's (Maui)




Are pies the new cupcake?  Seeking the newest dessert trend (post-cupcakes) is the big quest among foodies these days.  Old school pies are back...but will they make a lasting stake on the foodie palette?  The all American pie is in stiff competition with the itty bitty but ever delightful French macaroon on the mainland, but at Leoda's in Olowalu, Maui, dessert pies definitely take the cake!

These mini and full sized pies are not the cheapest around, but they are certainly worth the drive to try a bite.

My favorites?  Coconut Creme pie...and Chocolate Macadamia Nut Praline pie.  The Coconut Creme pie was the next best thing to heaven.  I'm not a huge coconut creme pie fan...but my first bite of Leoda's treat was to die for and seriously one of the most memorable eating experiences of the summer.  The Choco Mac Nut came in a good second for me...the praline crust was a sweet surprise which complemented the texture of the creamy chocolate mousse topped with mac nuts.

I'm not as thrilled by the mixed berry pie as others are, but feel their test kitchen found the perfect balance for their berries--not too tart, not too sweet.  And while I enjoyed their banana creme pie (the local favorite)...I still found the two aforementioned pies more impressive.

I visited this modern-country themed pie shop around 8 times over the summer and recommended it to my foodie friend and big time yelper GN.  Upon returning from his stay in Maui he reported with big eyes and exaggerated speech, "that was...the best pie...I've ever had...in my life!"  Wow. Knowing the foodie that he is, hearing his two big thumbs up for the place made my day.  :)

I'm not a big fan of their meat pies, but also give my own "two thumbs up" for Leoda's dessert pies.  It's easy to miss Leoda's the first time you're driving there:  Olowalu is the tiniest "township"on the road to/from Lahaina.  Exactly at mile marker 15 there are two small plantation styled shops a couple hundred feet from the roadside fruit stands.  Turn into the dirt driveway of the little parking area and the shop on the right is Leoda's.  There are no other stores or buildings on the road for a couple miles in either direction, so when you see a parking lot of cars it's likely Leoda's:

820 Olowalu Village Road
Lahaina, Maui
808.622.3600

(iphone photo credit:  my dear friend AC)

No comments: